Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tipping Rules (Stolen)

While searching online yesterday for more people who are doing blogs similar to mine I stumbled across this web page: Tips

This page has several pages for all sorts of service industry employees but I found myself reading the following and laughing my ass off about it:

 Lets start with some basics for the beginners:
  • The Bellman IS the most important staff member in any hotel. The bellman has the ability to make or break your stay, making it either enjoyable, or a living hell. How you tip him/her is tantamount to the outcome of your stay.
  • If you carry your own bags when you stay at a hotel, you are a loser. You probably went out and bought suitcases with wheels on them just just you wouldn't have to part with a few precious dollars as a tip to a bellman. Many Hotel's Bellstaff's are currently installing small devices in the floors of their lobby that will melt any and all suitcase wheels that pass over them. So you better use a bellman any way before those cute little wheels become a black smear on my lobby floor. I wouldn't want to have to bother housekeeping with cleaning up your ignorance.
  • Don't even bother to ask if you can borrow a Bellman's cart. This is comparable to approaching a Taxi driver, telling him you need a ride to the airport, and when the driver says "hop in", you say "No, I just wanted to borrow your car". See the similarities? If you borrow MY cart, how the fuck am I supposed to make any money? Get a clue.
  • Don't make the assumption that just because we're polite to you means that we like you. Its our job to suck up to schmucks like you because we works for tips. Nothing is worse than sucking up to real loser upon check-in, working your ass off, only to receive a ONE DOLLAR TIP! That will NOT help me make my Mortgage payment this month.
  • If your room is not ready upon check-in, and you wish us to store your bags, TIP US! You should tip your Bellman EVERY TIME he touches your bags. We like to rummage through the bags of non-tippers to see EXACTLY what you might be carrying in your luggage. Don't even think about locks, I haven't met one that will hold up to a sturdy paperclip.
Now, this guy may be a little abrasive and not really ground in reality but he makes some good points don't you think? To read more (including a bellman tip sheet) please visit bellman tips.

That's all, just thought I'd share! And if there are anymore of you service employee bloggers out there, make yourself known. I will most definitely put you on my blogroll!

No comments:

Post a Comment