Tuesday, May 31, 2011

2 Buck-a-roo-ies!

This one day I was working the morning shift (7am-3pm) and this cab pulls up directly up to the front door at about noon.  Before they get out I can tell they are old. I ask the cabbie to pop the trunk as as he does so I pull their two plaid American Tourister bags from the trunk I look at the Delta Airline tags on the bag.  It said:

Paul Roanoke
124 rosewood Lane
Mineapolis MN 55405

Immediately, I know what I'm dealing with. Most really old people who flew into New York do so for a son's wedding or a grand-daughter's graduation. Even a grand-daughter's wedding if they really are that old. Also, old people are not known in the industry as good tippers.

That's OK though. I don't expect a great tip from someone who grew up during the Great Depression.  I like old people. I respect my elders I just don't they belong in Manhattan. However, I like helping them out and making them feel comfortable in their new surroundings. I know that it probably scares the shit out of a 80-95 year old person from a small town in the mid-west to step into New York when they haven't left their county in years. I genuinely try to help them regardless as to what they are going to tip me because they are the ones who need it most.

As they hop out of the cab in in a polyester suit and a summer dress that resembles a bathrobe I say:

"Good afternoon and welcome New York City and to the R&B Hotel Mr. and Mrs. Roanoke. My name is Dylan and I will be assisting you through your check-in process today."

"How did he know our name Paul?" asked the old woman with astonishment.

"How did you know my name son? the old man asked with wonder.

"Well I am very intuitive  sir," I say with a wry smile that arouses wonder in my guest's faces. "Plus it's written on your luggage tags sir."

The old couple laughs with me as I help them on to the curb.  I load their luggage on a bell cart and open the grand double doors.  The couple walks into the lobby and I help them to the front desk. The couple is stunned by the art-deco style lobby and have a hard time focusing their attention on the check-in process.

"We have Mr. and Mrs. Roanoke checking in with us today" I say to Natasha at the front desk. Now it is well known around the front office staff that Natasha is the dumbest and most useless employee we have at the R&B hotel but somehow, she maintains her job there. God bless the union I guess!

I leave them, and position the luggage cart next to the Bell closet since I'm almost positive a room won't be ready this early and if it is, Natasha definitely doesn't have the brains or motivation to get it for them.  Eventually Natasha motions the guests towards me without a room key which means the room isn't ready yet, and I will have to store the bags until it is.

I write out a ticket for them and begin tagging the bags for them.

"She says you are going to store the bags for us?" Paul asks me.

"Yes Sir. Hang on to this ticket and when you're room is ready, give it back to me and I will get the bags up to your room right away." I say as I put the ticket in his hand. I show them how to get to a good lunch spot in the area and wish them luck them on their way out into the abyss of Midtown Manhattan.

"Thank you young man." The old woman states as she hands me a dollar bill.  A $1 bill is a shitty tip, but I'm not gonna hold it against these old timers.

A couple hours go by and the old couple returns looking a little bewildered. "Welcome back folks" I say as they return. I'm sure by now housekeeping has been able to turn some rooms and we should have something for them.  They head back to the front desk and after some chatting at the front desk they are given their room keys. I walk right up to them as they say thank you to the front desk agent.

"Looks like we have a room for you" I say. The old man hands the the ticket for his bags and shows me his room key. "Ok, we have you in room #904. Please take these elevators here to your right and head on up to your room and I will bring your bags to you shortly."

I gather the bags on the luggage cart and head up to the room.  Before I can even prop the door open the woman gives me another $1 bill while her husband is trying to figure out the television. I set the bags up on luggage racks for them and told them about the amenities of the hotel. I get the TV to work and set it on FOX NEWS for them (as per their request.) As I get set to leave I say:

"Well, my name is Dylan. If their is anything more I can do for you before your departure just let me know."

Paul stands up and pulls out his wallet. "So do I need to give you something?" He says.

"No sir" I say pulling the $1 bill out of my pocket. "You're wife already gave me this buck-a rooey here."

"No!" The old lady jumps right in. "I gave you two buck-a roo-ies. I gave you one buck-a-rooey downstairs and I just gave you another buck-a-rooey now."

I tell you, this woman was old but she didn't miss a beat. "Yes you did ma'am, you are absolutely right." I say smiling at her quickness. "Enjoy your time here in New York City" I say as I turn to leave.

Not a very good tip but I will never forget that old woman. Some times the story and the memory are worth much much more than a $20 bill.


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this. Old folks aren't the best tippers, but often their personality makes up for it. I once had a 80+ year old, senile British lady grab my hand and press a shiny nickel into my palm... but she only had 4 bags... so whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When someone gives me any change, I normally drop it on the floor in front of their door so the next time they come out of their room they see their tip scattered on the ground like litter. Hopefully they put two and two together and realized their tip sucked. Man I love Europe, but I HATE European travelers!

    ReplyDelete