Saturday, June 11, 2011

Take extra special care... of your Bellman!

I'm constantly amazed at the things people say when I'm storing their luggage.  They will always say things like "Oh, please be careful with that, it's got my laptop in it" or "can you take extra special care of that bag, it's fragile" or "Can you make sure nothing goes on top of that bag, it's very expensive." These same people that request my special attention to their precious luggage, stiff me!

I understand the desire to have your valuable handled with finesse, I do the same thing when I have to store my luggage. The difference is, I tip people when I ask them to do something special for me. It is a scientific fact that service industry employees listen better and are much more adept to helping you out when you are in the process of giving them money. Think about it. If you ask a guy to get you a table right away in a very crowded restaurant as a favor, he'll probably just say you should have made a reservation. If you ask for a table in a crowded restaurant and slip the guy a $20, chances are he's gonna take extra special care of you and get you the table that you wanted very quickly.

If a guy slips me $5 while he's telling me that his bag is fragile and he would appreciate it being treated as such, chances are I'm gonna put that fragile bag on a high shelf in the safest part of the bell closet. If a guest asks me to take extra special care of their stuff and doesn't take care of me, chances are those bags are gonna get thrown around the bell closet like a god damn beach ball. What incentive did you give me to give you extra special service? 

I'm sorry folks, but this is New York City. The only people who get extra special service and attention in this city, are the ones who pay for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment